Saturday 8 August 2009

Re-edits ...

Two re-edits:

During the course of my assembling works for my powerpoint presentation for the upcoming AUT Art and Design Postgraduate Conference in Auckland on 11 - 14 August, I considered re-working a number of videos. Of these are two re-edits: Cutouts' from 2008 with Fiona Baker and Sylvie Haisman which has been modified to become 'Slippage' and 'Remnants' which has been re-worked from 'Departed - Movement 1 - In the Company of Strangers. In both studies I am investigating ways to maintain the sense of narrative in the duet while exploring a less linear structure in the composition of the pieces.

In this study 'Slippage', within the baseline for the structured improvisation - or more accurately, after Kristian Larsen, 'real-time choreography' (throwdisposeablechoreography blog) the dancers are investigating where and how departure might surface within engagement - hidden agendas of manipulation, potential entrapment and escape - all indeterminants expressed and ultimately brought to nought through the Roaming Body. No matter the intent - we will leave all and every engagement we make. In my editing I am investigating ways to maintain the sense of narrative in the duet while exploring a less linear structure in the composition. I have fragmented the 'conversation' and begun to make this less literal. Movement, as a metaphor and an event in its own right, like other spoken language, need not occur in ways which are linear. In Slippage, I have employed emphasis by changing the speed and timing of the clips and re-ordering the sequence. I am inclined to think that this is an improvement from the original version. There is more diversity visually and less predictability than in the original edit, 'Cutouts'. In Slippage, I have employed emphasis by changing the speed and timing of the clips and re-ordering the sequence. I am inclined to think that this is an improvement from the original version. There is more diversity visually and less predictability.



In the second video below, 'Remnants (Two)', again, I wanted to investigate the potential of this footage for a more circuitous dialogue. I also wanted to combine if I could, the concept of traces or residue left behind on surfaces, as evidence of our presence in the space, with the embodiment of leaving. With this in mind, I took the footage I had made of the station doors and my facial smears on the glass and slowed this down from 100 to 5 percent. This was laid over the existing footage as a slightly opaque screen. The sounds from this piece were also slowed significantly, creating an overlay, a murmur of portent. This provides an extra layer to Mike Beever`s audio and the station sounds. I am interested in how this addition manifests visually, particularly at the very beginning of the clip.

I wanted to break up the existing sequence of movement/narrative/rhythm and re-direct it so I took elements from later in the piece and brought them forward and vice versa and created more of a pastiche of movement/sound by segmenting and replacing the original footage with a different kind of emphasis and articulation.

No comments: